Weddings are packed with emotions. The wedding vows make everyone feel the saturated love in the air, while the music brings people together and the father of the bride speech brings everyone to tears. But it's the best man speech that makes everyone laugh. That's not to say it must be a funny speech, but if you'd like to add a touch of humour to your wedding speech and provoke happy tears, you're in the right place. Read on for our picks for the top 20 best man speech jokes.
Make sure it's appropriate
Nothing is more surprising after a heartfelt speech than a joke that fits the mood and uplifts everyone in the room. Keep in mind your audience and the setting. It's a romantic setting, everyone feels the love and is in a celebratory mood. Perhaps you already enjoyed the funny wedding vows the couple wrote, so you can expect the mood to be light. And even if not, a joke is always welcome. Of course, it needn't be a stand up comedy, you can follow a best man speech structure and include a few jokes in your speech.
A joke for your audience
Keep in mind that you'll be speaking to everyone from cousins to grandparents, friends, children of all ages, distant relatives, coworkers and even acquaintances. But one thing we're betting and that's that no one knows the couple quite the way you do. They don't know all the silly things the groom wrote when writing the perfect wedding vows for her or the extents he went to in order to win her heart. Make sure that if you do tell a funny story, make sure it doesn't embarrass the groom. And please make sure your best man speech doesn't make the parents, grandparents or children uncomfortable.
1. Everyone who knows the bride knows she's a wonderful person. She deserves the best husband out there. Thank god [groom] married her before she found one.
2. It's been an emotional day. Even the cake is in tiers.
3. I must admit, I'm not used to speaking in public. Until now I thought a toastmaster was a kitchen appliance.
4. I'm here to tell you all about the groom and how wonderful, caring, and ...sorry mate, I can't read your writing.
5. So I'm the best man, athough I think I was picked by default since the groom doesn't really have any other friends.
6. When I sat down to write this speech I Googled "perfect best man speech", but you had to pay to read the examples and I didn't think it was worth it, so I'm gonna wing it.
7. I read somewhere that the perfect best man speech should last as long as it takes for the groom to make love. So raise your glasses to the happy couple!
8. We all know the bride is a lovely lady who deserves the perfect guy. Too bad you don't always get what you deserve.
9. The groom is a remarkable friend. He even wrote this speech for me!
10. Please keep clapping and cheering to a minimum. I'm terribly hungover. I know, I know, you shouldn't drink the night before a wedding, but I couldn't very well let the groom drink along, could I?
11. You are both so lucky. [Groom], you get to leave with this amazing woman. And [bride], you get to leave with that beautiful dress and wedding bouquet.
12. I recognise my role here, similar to a dead body at a funeral. You're expected to be there, but if you say too much people freak out.
13. I've been waiting a long time for the day when someone would finally admit that I am the best man.
14. I asked for a mic, but was told one wasn't available. So if you can't hear me in the back, the silence from the people at the front should reassure you that you're not missing a thing.
15. In my defence, the groom and I share a common sense of humour, so if this speech isn't funny feel free to blame the groom.
16. Loyal, caring, honest, sincere, handsome, the best man, but that's enough about me. Let's get on with the speech.
17. I admit, I'm extremely nervous right now. As the people sitting near to me at the table can testify, it really is possible to smell fear.
18. I had an extremely difficult time cutting this speech down to a reasonable length. In fact at one point, it ran to over an hour and fifteen minutes. I tell you what, I'll read you the five-minute-long version. Straight after that, I'll do the unabridged one, and you can decide which you liked best.
19. Good evening Friends and Family. I'm so happy to preside over the only 5 minutes that the Bride didn't plan.
20. Seeing the happy couple walking down the aisle earlier today, I'm sure we all agree that the bride looked simply stunning. The groom, on the other hand, simply looked stunned.
We're sure you'll write the perfect speech that's both funny and appropriate. Make sure you don't unintentionally insult the bride's taste in wedding flowers or style, and that you don't embarrass anyone. Your speech will be followed by the groom speech, which will probably be more serious and heartfelt, but remember that yours can be heartfelt while also being funny.